Seated Spinal Twist
- Stretches the outer hips, glutes, piriformis, abs, obliques, back, ribcage, chest, shoulders and neck.
- Increases rotational spinal mobility.
Yoga 15 Series
- Flexibility: vimeo.com/ondemand/yogaflexibilitychallenge
- Sit with a straight back and both legs out in front of you.
- Cross your right foot to the outside of your left thigh and bring your left foot back to your right hip.
- Place your right fingertips behind you and hug your left knee into your chest.
- Inhale, sit up tall. Exhale, twist to the right from the base of your spine.
- To increase the intensity of the pose, bring your left elbow to outside of your right knee and twist a little deeper.
- Hold the pose for 5 deep breaths, in and out through the nose.
- Come back to centre on your last exhalation and switch sides.
- You can sit on the edge of a cushion to raise your hips up if you're not able to comfortably sit up straight.
- If both your sitting bones do not rest evenly on the mat in the twist, keep your left leg straight out in front of you and flex your foot.
- Avoid this pose if you have a back or knee injury.