- Stretches the calves, hamstrings, upper and lower back.
- Externally rotates the hips.
- Forward Bend/Hamstring Stretch
- Hip Opener
Yoga 15 Series
- Flexibility: vimeo.com/ondemand/yogaflexibilitychallenge
- From sitting, straighten you left leg and place the sole of your right foot against your left inner thigh.
- Flex your left foot and press through your heel so that your entire left leg is in contact with the mat.
- Twist your torso to the left so that the centre of your chest is in line with your straight leg.
- Inhale, sit up tall. Exhale, slide your hands forwards as far as is comfortable, taking hold of your shin, ankle or heel.
- Keep your foot flexed and stay here for 5-10 deep breaths. With every inhalation, lengthen your spine and with every exhalation, fold deeper into the pose and bring your forehead closer to your knee.
- To come out of the pose, take a deep breath in. Exhale, carefully come back up and switch sides.
- If your hamstrings are really tight and you find yourself rounding your back and straining to bring your head down to your knee, you can loop a strap around the sole of our foot and gently pull it in towards you, keeping your lower back flat.
- Or switch to Reclining Hand-To-Toe pose.
- Avoid this pose if you have a knee, hip or lower back injury.