- Stretches the back, groin, hamstrings and knees.
- Externally rotates the hips.
- Releases tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Calms the mind.
- Can help to alleviate neck and shoulder pain.
- Hip Opener
Yoga 15 Series
- Relaxation: vimeo.com/ondemand/yogarelaxationchallenge
- From a seated position, bring the soles of your feet together in the shape of a diamond and let your knees relax down towards the mat.
- Inhale, sit up tall. Exhale, fold forward and completely relax your upper body, arms, neck and head.
- Stay in the pose for 2-5 minutes, breathing in and out through your nose.
- To come out of the pose, take a deep breath in. Exhale, gently come back up. Bring your legs out in front of you and give them a shake.
- There are a few ways to modify this pose if you have tight hips. The further your feet are from your hips, the gentler the stretch.
- You can sit on the edge of a cushion to raise your hips up. This makes it easier for your hips to rotate forward.
- You can put cushions on your feet for your head to rest on.
- If you have knee pain, you can put cushions under your knees for support.
- Avoid this pose if you have a knee or groin injury.