- Strengthens the feet, ankles, knees, legs, hips, glutes, core, back, shoulders and arms.
- Can help to alleviate lower back and knee pain.
- Lower Body Strength
Yoga 15 Series
- Strength: vimeo.com/ondemand/yogastrengthchallenge
- Stand with your feet hip width apart, toes pointing straight ahead.
- Sweep your arms forward and up, directly overhead. Bring your hands shoulder-width apart, palms facing each other.
- Bend your knees, draw your hips back and sit back in Chair.
- Distribute your weight evenly between your toes and heels and don’t let your knees come forward over your ankles.
- Check that both knees point straight ahead and do not fall in towards each other or out to the sides.
- Without moving the position of your feet, you should feel as though your heels are turning in towards each other. This will stabilise your hips and align your kneecaps correctly.
- Reach through your fingertips and contract your abs. Draw your ribs in to prevent your lower back from arching.
- Hold the pose for 5 deep breaths, in and out through your nose.
- Take a deep breath in, reach through your fingertips. Exhale, stand up and bring your hands back down by your sides.
Variation: Chair Pose Twist
This version of Chair pose increases rotational spinal flexibility and opens up the chest
Variation: One-Legged Chair
This version of Chair pose challenges your balance and opens up the hips
Variation: Dynamic Chair Pose
Alternating between Chair pose and Standing Forward Bend can be a great warm-up for the ankles, knees, hips and shoulders
- Avoid this pose if you have an ankle or knee injury.