Photo Credit: Sean Reagan
If you want seriously deep and restorative sleep, you should give this breathing technique a try. It’ll knock you out so fast you’ll feel as though you’ve been sedated.
The breathing process is unique because it happens automatically, like digestion, but you can also take conscious control of it. When you’re amped up or stressed out, your breathing is typically short and shallow, and when you’re feeling calm and at peace, it will naturally be slower and deeper.
By actively speeding up or slowing down your breath, you can change your mental and physiological state. Motivation guru Tony Robbins famously starts his day with 10 energising breaths to pump himself up, but if it’s powering down you struggle with, you can also learn how to down-regulate your breathing to calm your central nervous system.
Try this technique tonight when your head hits the pillow. Over time, you can extend the time between counts, slowing down your inhalations and exhalations.
- Take a deep breath in. Exhale completely.
- Seal your lips and inhale through your nose to the count of 4.
- Hold your breath for the count of 7.
- Exhale through your mouth for the count of 8. Completely empty your lungs.
- Repeat this cycle 4-8 times.