Photo credit: Fiona Peters
I'm in two minds about posting this article, because yoga is one of the only opportunities we get to focus on what is going on inside our bodies and minds without distraction. However, life is not straightforward and sometimes we have to let go of perfection and just do the best we can.
So if you do feel like optimising your TV time with some recovery work or you can’t quite summon the energy at the end of a long day for a full 15-minute session, here are 9 poses that will systematically stretch you out from head to toe.
You can hold each of them for 2-5 minutes. Try to maintain deep, abdominal breathing in and out your nose throughout.
1. Easy Pose
- In Easy Pose, you can take all your upper body joints through their full range of motion. Watch this video for some ideas.
2. Cow Face Hero
- This pose stretches the toes, feet and ankles.
- Make sure that your spine is straight—ears, shoulders and hips are all in a straight line.
- Loosen up your spine and shoulders in Cat Cow. Click on the image for some variations.
- Drop back to Puppy pose to stretch your arms, shoulders, chest and spine.
- Stretch your outer hips, glutes and hip flexors in Pigeon.
- If your hips are not level, you can support your bent hip on a cushion. Relax into the pose.
- This pose is not comfortable but it's great for opening up your chest and re-setting your shoulder blades. Click on the image to watch the modified version.
You'll find more lots more ideas for poses you can do in front of the TV or while you're at work in the Yoga 15 Recovery series. Here is the link:
If you have other favourite poses that you do when you're relaxing, travelling or at work, please share them in the COMMENTS section below.